This guide is provided as a resource for students focusing on Nursing Administration and related disciplines, as well as those interested in the topic. The resource guide is divided into various general categories, and each resource is annotated with a brief description. This resource guide also contains links to several professional associations, educational publications, databases and journals to assist with dissemination of information regarding the field of Nursing Administration.
Included also are educational resources for nurses and nursing administrators. These educational resources are designed for both students and teachers in nursing. Social media accounts to follow are listed in order to obtain the latest updates in the field.
The position of nursing administrator is sometimes referred to as “head nurse.” The nursing administrator’s position involves supervision of nursing staff, recommendations for policy change and facilitation of implementation of policy change. Nursing administrators are generally Registered Nurses who have continued their education to include a Master’s degree in nursing or a certification in Nursing Administration. Nursing administrators are often experienced nurses who have worked in the field for a number of years and seek to further their careers by moving into a supervisory role.
- American Medical Association – The AMA was founded in 1847 and is one of the oldest and most established medical associations in the United States. The AMA is the premiere organization for improving health care and establishing standards for the practice and education in the field of medicine.
- HealthCare.gov – This resource covers all relevant and timely topics related to health care. Site hosted and maintained by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
- Health Care Administration – Site covers education, accreditation and other topics relevant to those interested in public health, medical and nursing administrators.
- Medi-Smart – Medi-Smart is a general resource for nursing and nursing administration education.
- Nurse.com – Nurse.com is a clearinghouse site published by Gannett Healthcare Group. The site provides news relevant to the field of nursing, lists nursing positions and offers continuing education opportunities for nurses. In addition, the site hosts a social media community for nurses and provides an advice forum.
- ThinkQuest Nursing Administrator – Site covers basic description of the job of nursing administrator, salary and educational requirements.
- Healthy Living – Huffington Post’s blog for health care.
- Alliance for Aging Blog – Blog discusses obesity, stem cell research, Alzheimer disease and injuries at home for the elderly.
- All Nurses – General nursing blogs. Includes topics related to nursing administration.
- Consumer Reports Health – Health blog hosted by the renowned publication, Consumer Reports.
- MedScape Nursing Blog – Discusses various nursing topics, including transitioning from practicing nurse to nurse administrator.
- Health Beat Blog – Commentary by Maggie Mahr regarding public health, politics, nursing and policy issues.
- Health Care.gov – Blog hosted by federal Healthcare.gov agency.
- Health Care Technology News – News and issues with regards to technology in health care.
- Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review – Health care policy and law blog by Bob Laszewski. Discusses health care reform in its impact within the health care community.
- Heath Affairs – Public health, nursing and policy blog discussing news, relevant topics and political impact of the health care reform bill.
- Infusion Nursing Blog – Remicade nursing blog for those practicing infusion nursing.
- Medi-Smart Blog – Blog covering nursing and nursing administration education and learning.
- Nursing Administration Blog – Blog addressing scope and standards of practice for nursing administrators.
- Nursing Theory Blog – Blog created and maintained by students in the Masters Degree program at the University of Philippines.
- Nursing World Blog – Blog hosted and maintained by the Nursing World organization for nurses and nursing administrators.
- NurseZone Blog – Nursing diary discussing issues in nursing and nursing administration.
- Official Nursing Blog – Blog for nursing administrators and human resources professionals responsible for staffing and managing nurses.
- The Health Care Blog – Contributors include renowned names in medical practice and theory. Covers legal and political issues in medicine of interest to nursing administrators.
- The Nursing Site Blog – The Nursing Site Blog is maintained by Kathy Quan, RN BSN. Blog covers topics relevant to nursing and nursing administration.
- The Registered Nurse as an Administrator – Blog is dedicated to RNs who are ready to advance into the field of Nursing Administration.
- Travel Nursing Blog – Blog discusses topics relevant to traveling nurses.
- WebMD Women’s Health Blog – Women’s health issues blog by Jane Harrison-Hobner, RN, RNP.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing – The American Association of Colleges of Nursing hosts several conferences throughout the year. The association offers accreditation and is involved in federal policy making initiatives. The association is open for membership to students, faculty, policy makers and administrators.
- American College of Medical Quality – The association provides leadership quality standards and training for health care quality management.
- American Health Care Association – This association is generally for nursing administrators and other professionals who provide longterm care services, such as services to the elderly and infirm.
- American Nurses Association – American Nurses Association is the professional association for Registered Nursing professionals. The association’s membership currently includes over 3.1 million RNs throughout the United States. The association lobbies Congress for improved health care conditions and workplace rights for nurses.
- Association for Benchmarking Health Care – This association provides cross-industry benchmarking data for nursing administrators and other health care professionals.
- Association of Clinical Research Organizations – Association representing the largest clinical research organizations. Dedicated to promotion of biomedical research across disciplines.
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities – The Center is a policy organization working at the state and federal levels to affect policy for low and middle income health care recipients.
- Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools – Commission provides verification of credentials for nurses who graduate from foreign nursing schools.
- Emergency Nurses Association – Association for nursing administrators, practitioners, students and all others who work in emergency departments.
- Employee Benefit Research Institute – Founded in 1979 to provide education and research regarding fair and equitable employee benefits programs.
- Governance Institute – Independent organization providing leadership information and training to health care executives, administrators and leaders.
- National Association of Medical Staff Services – Association provides professional services and support for nursing administrators and others responsible for hiring and managing medical staff.
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing – Organization that provides information and education about state boards of nursing.
- National Institute of Health Care Management – Non-profit, non-partisan group that enables and conducts research on health care related issues.
- Rural Nurse Organization – Organization that was formed to address the concerns of nurses and nursing administrators who work in rural areas of the U.S.
Databases and Journals
- MedConditions – Online dictionary of medical conditions and terminology.
- United States Library of Medicine PubMed – The U.S. Library of Medicine published and hosted by the National Institutes of Health.
- American Nurses Credentialing Center – Online credentialing organization for nurses and nursing administrators.
- All Nursing Schools – Directory of all nursing schools in the U.S. offering degrees in nursing and nursing administration.
- EHealth Initiative – Organization linking health care administrators and professionals with technology.
- Jones and Bartlett Learning – Jones and Bartlett provides educational resources for nursing students and others.
Societies, Conferences, Professional Organizations
- Academy Health – National organization that serves nursing administrators, health care professionals and policy researchers with information, news and recent findings in the health care industry.
- American College of Health Care Administrators – The American College of Health Care Administrators offers annual meetings and conferences for nursing administrators and others. The organization is open to students and faculty, as well.
- American College of Health Care Architects – Organization dedicated to providing support for those who design health care programs.
- American Journal of Nursing – Peer reviewed nursing journal. Published monthly.
- American National Standards Institute – U.S. standards and conformity organization.
- American Public Health Association – Established in 1872, the American Public Health Association is the oldest and most established organization for public health professionals, officials and administrators.
- American Society for Health Care Human Resources Administration – American organization dedicated to meeting the needs of nursing administrators and other professionals involved in human resources administration in health care.
- Alliance of Community Health Plans – Provides a network for communities to link with cross-discipline health care providers.
- Alliance for Health Reform – Health care information for nursing administrators, policy makers, elected officials, journalists and policy advocates.
- Association of Hispanic Health Care Executives – Association of Hispanic Health Care Executives is dedicate to the promotion of access to health care in the Hispanic community.
- National League of Nursing – Organization for leaders, administrators and educators in the field of nursing.
- Nursing World – News and information for nurses and nursing administrators.
- Society for Human Resource Management – With over 250,000 members in 14 countries across the globe, the Society for Human Resources Management serves the needs of human resources professionals.
- URAC – Independent non-profit society promoting health care through accreditation, measurement and educational programs. Offers benchmarking programs.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (Nursing) – Site lists several nursing grants, traineeships, apprenticeships, fellowships and community based funding opportunities.
- Aida @aydzb – renowned RN and educator.
- American Journal of Nursing on Twitter @AmJnurs – Relevant articles for nurses and nursing administrators.
- American Medical Association @AmerMedicalAssn – Twitter account for news and updates from the American Medical Association
- American Nurse Today @AmerNurse2day – Twitter account for the American Nurses Association
- American Red Cross @RedCross – Updates and news from the American Red Cross
- All Nurses @allnurses – Twitter account for All Nurses organization connecting over 416,000 nurses and nursing administrators.
- Bobby the RN @BonnieRN – BonnieRN is a legal nursing consultant and medical care manager.
- Christian Nurse @ChristianNurse – News, resources and information for Christians in Nursing, nurse administrators and other health care disciplines.
- Harvard Health @HarvardHealth – Health news from Harvard University.
- Health Hive @HealthHive – Up to the minute health news.
- Health News Blog on Twitter @health – Twitter feed for the Health News Blog
- Joy Collins @joycollins – Joy Collins is a is a legal nurse consultant and a writer.
- Live Person @LivePerson – Service allows members of the public to discuss issues live with nursing administrators and other medical and health professionals.
- Medical Connect @MedicalConnect – News and updates from the Worldwide Medical Association.
- Medline Plus on Twitter @medlineplus4you – Medline Plus Twitter account.
- MSNBC Health @msnbc_health – Twitter account for MSNBC Health
- National Institutes of Health @NIHforHealth – Twitter feed for news and updates from the National Institutes of Health.
- New York Times Health @NYTimesHealth – New York Times health articles, vaccine information and public health warnings.
- NPR Health @NPRhealth – Twitter account for NPR’s Health feature.
- Nursing Ideas @nursingideas – Innovative ideas for improving nursing and nursing administration.
- Nursing Jobs USA @NurseJobsUSA – Twitter feed of nursing and nursing administrator jobs in the USA.
- Web MD Blogs @WebMD_Blogs – Up-to-the-minute notifications and news from WebMD