The field of healthcare, perhaps more than any other profession, requires its members to constantly keep their knowledge of advancements and discoveries current and sharp. One way in which healthcare professionals can obtain this necessary knowledge is through reading journals and blogs of their colleagues and professional peers. We've scoured the internet for the best healthcare blogs currently available and present to you this Top 30 list of best healthcare blogs. This list is meant to act as a guide to blogs that would be helpful to those working or studying in the field of health care. The categories are separated from general to more particular topics useful to those serving in a specific field of medicine.
General Healthcare Policy
1. Healthcare.gov: A federal government website managed by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. This is a great starting point for anyone looking to learn more about their healthcare rights and options.
2. The Health Care Blog: A blog focusing on a wide range of health care topics, The Health Care Blog focuses on bringing up-to-date and innovative health care information to medical professionals and their patients.
Highlight: How the Best Innovate and Commercialize
3. Health Care Experts Blog: The National Journal publishes a blog discussing the topic of Healthcare policy.
Highlight: AIDS: Where Are We Now?
4. Safe Healthcare: This blog on the CDC site provides a clear and concise look into the medical world via an easy to navigate breakdown of the blog's extensive categories of medical topics.
Highlight: The Beginning of the End of Antibiotics?
5. Policy and Medicine: Written by Thomas Sullivan, a recognized authority on medical education and government regulation, this site regularly updates readers on medical policy news from Washington.
Med School Blogs
6. Waiting for MD : A brief glimpse into the life of a second year medical student, this recent addition to the blogosphere promises a unique perspective on the first steps on the long road to graduation.
7. Med Master/The Goldberg Files: Written by a former professor at the University of Miami School of Medicine, this is the quintessential guide to navigating the stresses that come with pursuing a medical degree.
Highlight: Revamping The Med School Curriculum
8. Mothers in Medicine: While not focused explicitly on women in medical school, this blog provides essential inspiration and support to any woman questioning her ability to juggle career and family.
Highlight: When I am a Senior Resident
9. Trust Me, I'm a Medical Student: Three years into med school at Stanford, Katherine provides a candid view of the ups and downs of life as a student of medicine.
10. The Hero Complex: A blog catering to those students in pre-med looking to make the transition into medical school.
Highlight: Being a Great Doctor: My Mom's Take
11. Uncommon Student MD: A fresh take on health care from the next generation of medical practitioners.
Highlight: Becoming a Rock Star Doctor: Part 2
12. My Strong Medicine: Athletic trainer turned CCRN certified nurse Sean Dent writes about everything from current issues in the nursing and health care field, to his Cross Fit workouts, to his feelings about turning 40.
13. Nursing Research: Show me the evidence!: Penned by nine different nurse-contributors, the St. Joseph Hospital Nursing Research blog communicates the nursing research activities of the SJO to staff and other interested readers.
14. Nursetopia: Written by an oncology nurse, Nursetopia is an engaging blog that covers everything from relevant news articles about nursing, thoughts on nursing education to inspirational quotes and ideas.
15. Nursing Ideas: Working off the slogan "ideas cost nothing, ideas can change the word," this site is a platform on which nurses can shape and voice their health care ideas.
16. Off the Charts: The blog of the American Journal of Nursing. They focus on keeping nurses up to date on any relevant news facing the field of nursing.
Highlight: Unanticipated Codes
17. Dr. Len's Cancer Blog: A prominent blog on the webpage of the American Cancer Society. Dr. Len combines experience and good writing for an informative look into the subject of cancer treatment.
18. Grunt Doc: Allen was once a doctor for the USMC infantry and is now working as an emergency physician in Texas. His musings provide just the right mix of medical and military.
Highlight: BS Study*: Doctors Feel Patients' Pain
19. Dr. Leslie Greenberg's Blog: Dr. Greenberg answers common medical questions in plain terms. She hails from Wichita, Kansas and runs a practice focused primarily on serving families.
20. The Dr. Weighs In: A site where physicians and medical students can weigh in on new research and findings.
21. Doc Gurley: This smart and witty Harvard grad is not afraid to approach taboo topics. She writes about all things medical, but warns that "this is a blog, not a visit to your doctor."
Highlight: Fifty Years of Lying
22. The Pharmacy Times: This website serves as a hub for its many contributing bloggers in the field of Pharmacy.
Highlight: Caring for Patients in Life and in Death
23. Jim Plagakis: This blog brings you news, often humorous or irreverent, from the most trusted profession. An honest and opinionated spin on frustrations in pharmacy.
24. pharmLand: A member of the Pharmacy Alliance, the site serves as an aggregator of pharmacy blogs.
25. American Pharmacist Association: The CEO blog for the APhA brings you useful information on new developments in the field of pharmacy.
Highlight: Provider status call to action!
Physical Therapy Blogs
26. In Touch Physical Therapy blog: A blog focusing on evidence-based orthopedics and manual therapy.
Highlight: PT Tests for Dx Achilles Tendon Rupture
27. Evidence in Motion Blog: Written by a team of physical therapists, this site details the future of the physical therapy field.
Highlight: Elbow Injections–Time To Stop It
28. Recovery Physical Therapy: This NY based practice has brought their expert PT to the internet. Their blog specializes in recovery from sports injuries.
29. PT Think Tank: PT Thank Tank brings forth critical observations of health, science, and the physical therapy profession.
30. Physical Therapy Diagnosis: Helping physical therapists make the right diagnosis for their client's injuries, Tim Richardson reports on current topics in the field of Physical Therapy.
Highlight: This is Only a Testâ¦